Use the Inventory Variants tab to:
- Edit Variants for products that have Attributes.
- Create kits that do not have Attributes. If your kit has Attributes and Options, see:
To build a kit with the Inventory Kit Builder Tab
To Create a Kit with the Edit Default Variant Button
- Use the Catalog > Edit Product > Inventory Variants tab > Edit Default Variant button to create a
kit that has no Attributes or options. This means you have a kit that is "pre-packaged" and the
customer can't change or customize it in any way.
- Use the Catalog > Edit Product > Inventory Kit Builder Tab if your kit has attributes and options
If you sell something like computer equipment (keyboard, mouse, graphics card, etc) you might sell
each item individually, but you can also combine a number of items to sell as a kit or bundle.
- In our example we are going to sell a desktop computer kit that includes:
- Desktop Tower Box
We've already entered each product into the system and created a "Desktop Tower Kit" product.
- Edit the Basic Tower Kit product and select the Inventory Variants tab.
- Click on the Edit Default Variant button. Use the Edit Variant dialog box to add individual parts to
3.1 As you type the code of a product into the Edit Variant dialog box, the system will list all of
the product codes it finds that match what you have entered.
3.2 Click on the blue line, then click Add Part.
The Quantity text box controls how many of that part are included in the kit. In our example, the
desktop tower kit includes only 1 mouse, but you could change this to 2 and each kit would be sold with
Controlled by Master Product. The price/cost/weight of the entire kit will be whatever you entered as
the price/cost/weight of the kit product
Specific Values: You will be prompted to enter price/cost/weight for the kit.
Sum of Parts: The system will automatically set the price/cost/weight of the kit to be the sum of all the
parts that you add to the kit.
Add Variant(s) Button
There are two ways to add product variants:
- Use the Generate Variants Button to generate every possible product variant, and then edit and
delete the variants as needed.
- Use the Add Variant(s) button to manually add product variants one at a time.
- The Add Variants(s) button is only visible if you are editing a master product that has Attributes.
Using the Add Variant(s) button is slower than using Auto Generate, but there may be two cases where
you would prefer to use it:
- You want to control the product code field. If you use the Generate Variants Button to create
product variants, the software will automatically generate a product code for each one. If you
wanted to change these product codes, you would have to manually edit each one.
Examples of automatically generated product codes and names.
- If you use the Add Variant(s) button to create your product variants, you can set the product code
to be anything that you want.
- You already have some product variants in the database and you don't want them to be duplicated
by the Generate Variants Button.
To Add Product Variants Manually
Note that you can only add variants if the master product has Attributes. If the master product does not
have Attributes, you can only edit the default variant.
- Create a master product, e.g. a t-shirt.
- Create products for the variants one at a time or by importing a product file; for example, a small
white t-shirt, medium white t-shirt, large white t-shirt, etc.
- Edit the master product and create Attributes, for example, size and color. When you create the
attributes, you must check the "I" column to track inventory
- Edit the master product and select the Inventory Variants tab.
Click on the Add Variant(s) button. In the Edit Variant dialog box, select the attributes that you
want and add the product code of the variant that you manually created.
Delete Variants Button
You can only use the Delete Variants button when:
- You are editing the master product of a kit (with or without Attributes).
- You are editing a non-kit master product that has Attributes (like a t-shirt that is available in different
sizes and color).
If you were editing a product like a vase that is only available in one size, color, shape, etc, the
Inventory Variants tab would be empty, since the vase doesn't have variants. See Generate Variants
- Select a Variant.
- Click Delete Variant(s).
Edit Inventory Button
The Edit Inventory button is only available if you have created a kit or if you have generated product
variants (see Generate Variants
Button). After you create a kit or product variants, you can click on the
Edit Inventory button to set the inventory for that product variant or the parts in the kit.