Image Types are categories that you create for your images. When you upload images to your store, you can assign those images to the categories that you have created. Using Image Types is optional
and you can upload and display images in your store without them. But Image Types are handy for several areas of store management:
- You can use Image Types with the Import features to quickly upload products with multiple images for each product. (See Add Images - Import Feature.)
- You can use Image Types to display a product picture in search results, shopping basket, related images, and other store pages. (See Example: Use an Image Type in the Search Page.)
To Create Image Types
Let's say that your main business is selling computers, but you also sell some t-shirts. For every computer that you sell you have a picture of the front of the computer and another picture for the side.
For the t-shirts that you sell you always have a picture of the front of the t-shirt, and another picture for the back. You could create the following Image Types:
When you upload your images, you assign each image to one of the Image Types that you created: front, side, or back.
There are several places where you can create Image Types:
- User Interface > Image Types
- The Image Picker Dialog Box
- Catalog > Edit Product > Images
It doesn't matter which one you use.
- Go to > Catalog > Products tab > edit product > Images tab.
- In the Image Type tab, click on the Add Image Type(s) button. The Add Image Type dialog box appears.
2.1. Enter a short code to uniquely identify the Image Type and a longer Description. In our example we'll enter "Front" as both the code and the description. You your categories fairly generic so that you can use them for a wide variety of different products.
2.2. Click the Add button.
You can now use your Image Types in several ways:
- When you manually upload product images you can assign those images to an Image Type. See The Image Picker Dialog Box.
- When you import product information your Image Types will appear as columns in the spreadsheet. You can now import multiple images for each product.
- If you assign an image to an Image Type, you can have that image show up in the following pages:
- BASK (Basket Contents) > Basket Contents tab > Product Images checkboxes
- CTGY (Category Display) > Category Product List Layout tab > Image drop-down list
- PROD (Product Display) > Product Display Layout tab > Image drop-down list
- PROD (Product Display) > Related Product List Layout tab > Image drop-down list
- PLST (Product List) > Product List Layout tab > Image drop-down list
- SRCH (Search) > Search Results Layout tab > Image drop-down list
Example: Use an Image Type in the Search Page
- In our example, we'll create an Image Type called "Front".
- Next, we'll edit a t-shirt product and upload a picture of the front of the t-shirt. When we upload the picture, we'll assign it to the image type of "Front".
- Now we'll edit the Search page, so that images of type "Front" show up during a search. Select > User Interface > Pages > (Edit) SRCH > Search Results Layout > Image dropdown list. Select "Front" from the Image drop-down list and click Update.
- In our store we'll run a search for shirts. The product image that we uploaded appears in the Search