Enabling Encryption in Your Store
You enable encryption in your store by creating an encryption key. As soon as you create the key,
credit card data on new orders will be encrypted. You create the key with the Encryption Key Wizard.
Follow the steps in this section if you want to enable encryption in your store, and you do not have
existing orders with credit card information.
But see also Processing Existing Orders with the Encryption Key Wizard.
- In this section we've simplified the screens to make them easier to read.
- It's important that you make a note of your encryption key passphrase and store it in a secure
location. If you lose your passphrase, it cannot be recovered. You will either have to:
- Remove payment information from all of the orders whose credit card information was
encrypted (archiving), or
- Leave the orders with encrypted credit card information in your database. You won't be able to
view the credit card information when you edit an order.
To Enable Encryption in Your Store
- Go to > Store Settings > Encryption Keys tab.
- In the Encryption Keys tab, click the Add Encryption Key button.