Creating a New User
To create a New User, click the Settings heading in the bottom left corner of the page, then click User Management. The page that opens displays a batch list of all the current users.
To add a user, click the Add User button in the top right corner. The Add User box opens.
In the Add User box, you will provide the following information. Headers in bold indicate the field is required.
- Icon: You can choose an icon for the user. There are several icons you can choose from, or you can upload a custom icon. Icons can help you easily identify what group a user is part of, especially if you use the same icon for everyone in that group.
- Username: Enter a username for the new user.
- Password/Confirm Password: Enter a password for the user and confirm it in the second box.
- Email: Add an email address for the user.
- Cell Phone: You can enter a cell phone number for the user. This is optional.
- Allowed IP Address(es): This provides an additional layer of security by allowing you to whitelist a specific IPs, or range of IPs for a given Admin user. This means the user can only log in to the admin if their IP address matches.
- Description: You can enter a description for this particular user. This is optional.
- Force Password Change at Next Login: If you click the slider to enable this function, the user will need to create a new password after the log in with the first password you provide them.
- Account Expires on: Clicking this slider allows you to set an expiration date for a particular user. This can be useful if you have a temporary worker who only needs access for a set period of time.
- License: Choose the license you want for the user. See more information about licenses below.
- Roles: This section allows you to assign one of six pre-defined roles to the user. For more information on User Roles, or groups as they are known, click here.
When finished, click the Add button.
The number of available licenses is dependent on the Miva plan purchased for your business.
There are three license types available. They are:
- Concurrent: A concurrent license allows for multiple users without affecting the allowed number of users.
- Reserved Seat: The reserved seat type is not used as much as in previous iterations of the Miva admin. It is mostly used for API Integrations.
- Developer: This type of license is generally granted to web developers and does not count against the allowed number of seats.
Two-Factor Authorization (2FA) and Administrative Privileges
Beginning with the 10.07 release, the way users were given administrative privileges and their two-factor authorization was established was changed.
Previously, the Miva admin would not allow system admins to create users with administrative privileges unless they were first added as a regular user, then had 2FA enabled, and then were manually updated to administrator status by another system admin.
Now, system administrators can simply scroll down to the advanced dropdown carat, click it, and then click the slider to make the user they are adding an administrator.
In addition, system administrators can also force a user to enroll/re-enroll in 2FA. To do so, in the Edit User box, click the slider next to “Force Two-Factor Enrollment at Next Login” and then click Update. The next time that user logs into the Miva admin they will be forced to enroll or re-enroll in 2FA.