Assigning attributes at the product level works for unique products. But for stores which sell many similar products, using Attribute Templates is more efficient. Attribute Templates allows you to create an attribute once, and apply it to many products, rather than recreating the same attribute multiple times.
1. To create an Attribute Template, click the Catalog header and then click the Attribute Templates tab.
2. Next, click the Add Attribute Template button.
3. Enter an Attribute Template code, which identifies the code in the admin. Then enter an Attribute Template Prompt, which is the name you will see when you apply the template to a product.
4. Then click the Add button.
5. Next, a new field, labeled “Reference Count” appears. This field displays the number of products that are using this attribute template.
6. Cick the Attributes and Options tab.
7. To add an attribute, click the Add Attribute button.
8. In this example, we will create two attributes: size and color. For additional information on creating attributes, click here.
1. Navigate to a product page and click the Attributes tab.
2. Click the Options button. Then click Add Template in the dropdown that displays.
3. In the Add Attribute Template box that opens, select the Template you wish to use in the drop down. Then click the Copy or Link button.
If you click the Copy button, the system will create a copy of the template and apply it to your product. If you change the attribute template later, those changes will not be applied to the attribute template used by this particular product. For example, if you edit the template later to add another attribute called “Material,” the Material attribute will not show up for this product.
Clicking the Link button links this product to the original attribute template. If you edit the template later, those changes will show up for this product, because the product is linked to the original template.